Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Joi - Star Kitty's Revenge

Politics

I'm sitting by the ocean, bare feet in the sand, the sun setting on the horizon, the wind comes from west and raises whitecaps. While sipping my Club, four soldiers dell'UNIMIL (United Nations Mission in Liberia) jogging shirtless on the beach, with their shimmering plates dangling neck.
It is pleasing to some 'sea breeze after a day that began with two hours of flood-style African and continued with a stifling heat. Mac survive the humidity of this place?
Today I held the first lesson for my four brave nurse anesthesia: I showed him pictures of my week of observation result and even if will not come to any change in their work, at least I know that you are fun.
He died Patrick, one of the little children that every day medical care for burns from boiling water, the first due to trauma in childhood. When I saw for the first time in the operating room, I have recommended to the English surgeon, who showed very sweet to him, not too fond of that child would not have been saved: I talked more to me than to her. There is always something of a mystery that leads everyone to choose from among many, a particular patient. There is no rational reason, communicate. Sometimes we discover otherwise involved.
The infant mortality rate in our hospital is 10%. Cause of death as malaria. Then measles, various infections, malnutrition. Neonatal mortality is 30%, but goes given that we are a referral center to give birth and then come to us only on more complex cases, say those who start already on the wrong foot. About measles epidemic is about to burst, but the government refuses to launch a vaccination campaign for now because the dead are too few. Each has its own problems.
My beloved Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf may be ousted by the possibility of running for a second presidential term. The National Commission for Truth and Reconciliation has suggested that the president, along with 50 other prominent figures, be banned from public office for 30 years, with the suspicion who have financed armed groups during the years of civil war.
seems that Sirleaf will manage to re-apply, which enjoyed strong that he made in 2005 the first elected female president in Africa. What it does have the Americo-Liberian Mandingo and one of the 16 ethnic groups in Liberia, a predominantly Muslim, and almost all the economic power of the country: the United States and Islam go hand in hand in Liberia. Although there is no oil here.
Meanwhile I learn with incredulity to the latest statements by our Prime Minister on the selection method to be used for human trafficking between Albania and Italy: I am surprised that has not provided more objective criteria than the banal "pretty girls", such as height, eye color, the bra size, the presence of tattoos or piercings . Or the number of times an Albanian girl was raped before they agree to be landed directly on one of our sidewalks. I hope to deal with them about it.
I'm fine, thank you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment